At JPII, there are a bunch of ways to get involved. One way to help out is to volunteer and we don’t just mean your time, but your dog’s time too :).
Currently, we have two Therapy Dogs – Lucy (pictured), and Ricoh – that come to visit. Pet Therapy has all sorts of awesome benefits and is used in wide-range of ways, from helping college students manage stress to post-disaster therapeutic session.
Mental Health Benefits
- Helps with depression
- Encourages communication
- Can increase socialization
- Helps to reduce anxiety
- Aids in overcoming speech and emotional disorders
Physical Health Benefits
- Lowers blood pressure
- Releases calming endorphins
- Lowers overall physical pain
- Improves cardiovascular health
- Helps to increase joint movement
- Can improve recovery time
- Helps to maintain and increase motor skills
Thank you to our volunteers who help out our students and adults by donating their time (and their dog’s time)!
For more information, please visit the source sites for this article: